A major objective of the Bridgewater-Raritan Regional School District Athletic Program is to provide wholesome opportunities for students to develop positive leadership habits and attitudes of social and group interaction. Remember that participation in athletics is a privilege granted by the Board of Education, and along with this privilege and its benefits come certain responsibilities: It is expected that all athletes will participate in all practices and games, adhere to all rules set forth by the school and Athletic Department, as well as their individual coaches, and conduct themselves in an exemplary manner at all times. Those who do not are subject to appropriate school and team consequences.
Coaches, Parents, and Students are also expected to exhibit good sportsmanship at all times. Failure to exhibit good sportsmanship shall include, but not be limited to the following conduct:
- Any person who strikes or physically abuses an official, coach, player or spectator;
- Any person who intentionally incites participants or spectators to abusive action;
- Any person who uses obscene gestures or unduly provocative language or action towards officials, coaches, opponents or spectators;
- Any school or athletic staff member who is publicly critical of a game official or opposing coaches and/or players;
- Any person who engages in conduct which exhibits bias based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, affectational or sexual orientation or sex, social or economic status, or disability;
- Schools or school organizations engaging in pre-event activities of an intimidating nature, e.g. use of fog machines, blaring sirens, unusual sound effects or lighting, or similar activities.
- Other conduct judged by the Athletic Director or Principal to be unsportsmanlike in character.
- Any violation of the rules of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association.
Failure to exhibit good sportsmanship may result in the Board denying the opportunity for any individual to participate in the athletic program or attend athletic events.
Bridgewater-Raritan Regional School District